Why 52 Women?

It's not all about lipo, hair color and botox...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Meet Valerie

Sometimes people come into your life in the most bizarre places, and you don't realize they'll leave such a lasting impression until after you part ways.

A few weeks ago, I was flying home from New York and had to change planes in Charlotte.  On my way to my next gate, I dashed into the ladies' room for a quick pit stop in Terminal C. It was early - maybe 7:30 a.m. - and I'd been up for hours. That's when I heard Valerie.




There I was relieving my bladder, minding my own business in my own little stall when I first heard her singing. I listened while I washed my hands and walked out. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, but at first, I found her singing annoying. Then a funny thing happened on my way to my next gate: Valerie's little "diddy" got stuck in my brain. A week went by and it was still there. Another week - still there. Finally, it hit me.

Valerie has taken a menial, rather depressing job and made it enjoyable. I know nothing about her - how old she is, how long she's been wiping down toilet seats and sink counters, picking up women's trash and going home each day smelling like a public bathroom. None of that matters.

Valerie reminded me to find the joy and humor in life. Next time I fly through Charlotte, I'll be sure to thank her.

1 comment:

  1. So poignant. During times when the economy is in the shitter and money is tight, Valerie manages to whistle while she works. I will think twice next time I complain about my job or having to do without this or that luxury.

    ReplyDelete